A bit about me...

Hi! My name is Briana Browder, and I am a sophmore in the University of South Alabama's College of Education. I am majoring in Elementary Education, and I plan to graduate with my bachelor's degree in December of 2010. My goal after I graduate is to become a kindergarten teacher in a Baldwin County School.

As I get closer to my teaching career, I am beginning to explore different teaching tools that I can use in my classroom. The teaching tools that I have found that I like the most are blogs, iGoogle homepages, ACCESS labs, the ALEX (Alabama Learning Exchange) website, and educational websites for elementary students.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Using Educational Websites to Enhance Learning in the Classroom

I believe educational websites for children are just as beneficial to students as the ALEX website is for teachers. There are many educational websites out there for children to explore, and each website has many different resources to help the students learn while also having fun. Examples of educational websites for children include http://www.starfall.com/, http://www.funbrain.com/, and http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/index.jsp. To find more, parents or students can do a Google search and type in keyword phrases such as “educational games for elementary students” or “educational websites for kindergarten.” Resources parents and students can find on educational websites include reading tutorials or games, fun learning activities, learning links, math games, etc. One of the websites that I decided to explore was www.starfall.com. This website provides teachers with supplemental learning tools to help students to learn their alphabet and to learn how to read. It also provides teachers with activities that relate to common holidays in the classroom, and it allows children to create their own calendars. One learning link on this website is the ABC’s learning link. This link helps children to distinguish between uppercase and lowercase letters and learn phonics by incorporating words that begin with each letter of the alphabet. Another section of the website is called “It’s Fund to Read.” This section has fun games for the students in which the instructions are to be read by the students. When having difficulties reading a word, the student can click on the word and the program will recite the word aloud. All of these activities are fun activities that students and parents can sit down and enjoy at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment