A bit about me...

Hi! My name is Briana Browder, and I am a sophmore in the University of South Alabama's College of Education. I am majoring in Elementary Education, and I plan to graduate with my bachelor's degree in December of 2010. My goal after I graduate is to become a kindergarten teacher in a Baldwin County School.

As I get closer to my teaching career, I am beginning to explore different teaching tools that I can use in my classroom. The teaching tools that I have found that I like the most are blogs, iGoogle homepages, ACCESS labs, the ALEX (Alabama Learning Exchange) website, and educational websites for elementary students.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Using ALEX (Alabama Learning Exchange) as a Teacher Tool

The ALEX website, in my opinion, is a great resource available FREE to teachers online. Tools available on the website included courses of study, lesson plans, and other teacher web links. All of these tools are available to make the everyday work teachers are faced with easier. The lesson plans tool is a great resource that allows teachers to create their own lesson plans or find lesson plans already posted to the ALEX website. Teachers can search for lesson plans by grade level, by subject areas, or by using a keyword search. The lesson plans available on this website include information about local, state, and national standards as well as learning objectives. The lesson plans also provide teachers with the all the necessary information that they need to carry out their lesson. For example, all resources, materials, and equipment needed such as scratch paper, computer, projectors, etc. are listed. The course of study tool is also a great resource that allows teachers to search by using subject names, grade levels, or class names. After selecting a grade level and class name, teachers are provided with all of the course objectives that they must meet when covering the material. Last, the teacher web links on the ALEX website are very helpful to teachers. Examples of teacher web links include the Professional Learning link and the Distance Learning link. The Professional Learning link provides teacher with the latest research and teaching methods available. It also helps teachers to keep their certificates up to date by providing them with new professional development opportunities. The Distance Learning link provides teachers with access to the Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Statewide (ACCESS) website. This program uses tools such as videoconferencing and Internet based instruction to help provide every student in Alabama with an equal opportunity to all courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment